On Tuesday, Goose Island announced the 2020 lineup for its coveted Bourbon County stouts. The annual bourbon barrel-aged special release will include seven new variants this year.
As is tradition, the brewery will release the lineup on Black Friday (November 27), marking a decade since the brand’s first post-Thanksgiving release.
Here is the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout 2020 selection.
- Bourbon County Stout — The original bourbon barrel-aged Imperial Stout is aged in a mix of Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill Distillery, and Wild Turkey bourbon barrels.
- Bourbon County Kentucky Fog Stout — This variant is the brewery’s first-ever tea-inspired release. A take on “London Fog” (a flavored tea latte), this selection includes a mix of Earl Grey tea, black tea, and clover honey.
- Bourbon County Special #4 Stout — An oatmeal stout variant of the original Bourbon County Stout. After barrel-aging, a mix of coffee and barrel-aged maple syrup are added for a flavor “reminiscent of your breakfast ‘special’ at the local diner,” according to a press release.
- Bourbon County Caramella Ale — Similar to last year’s Wheatwine Ale, this variant aged in Larceny Wheated Bourbon barrels, providing a sweet, smoothness profile, and hints of apple, cinnamon, and caramel.
- Proprietor’s Bourbon County Stout — Inspired by the Italian frozen dessert Spumoni, this release is blended with fresh pistachios, cacao nibs, candied Amarena cherries, and natural vanilla flavors.
- Birthday Bourbon County Stout — Aged in limited edition Old Forester Birthday Bourbon barrels, with notes of chocolate, vanilla, maple, berry, cinnamon.
- Anniversary Bourbon County Stout — Celebrating the ten-year tradition of Black Friday releases, the anniversary variant is aged for two years in Weller 12 year barrels. According to a press release, “the added age of these Weller barrels, paired with an extra year of the beer in the barrel, adds stronger barrel flavors and notes of dried dark fruit.”
In a press release from Goose Island, brewmaster Keith Gabbett says, “This year’s Bourbon County Stout lineup includes some of the most exciting flavor combinations yet.” According to Gabbett, the brand develops the annual lineup with fans in mind and “hope(s) to continue to exceed their expectations; providing not only the best barrel-aged stout out there but pushing ourselves to create a lineup that is unparalleled.”
Bourbon County Stout fans can head to their favorite store to snag the coveted collection on Friday, November 27.